Saturday, January 30, 2010

KINGDOM PRESENT - THE KINGDOM PARABLES


AN INTRODUCTION continued

Before we get into the individual parables next week I thought I should share a little about my life in regard to the 'love of riches'. If you have heard this from me before, please forgive me.

By nature and inheritance I am a businessman. And how do you measure success in business? By profit - or loss. That is - money. Although I am bit different to most, for I like the challenge of doing something different, in the end, success or failure is judged in monetary terms.

To briefly sum up my business life I have

1. Been very successful in business, then failed - without knowing Jesus.
2. Came to know Jesus personally through the desperation of bankruptcy.
3. Was again successful in business before going bankrupt once more!
4. Got to know Jesus much better through this bankruptcy.
5. Started Seekers, as a charitable trust, without personal payment, for the benefit of others.

Maybe, hopefully, I have learned my lessons this time!

While there are a few businessmen Jesus followers who have managed to avoid getting caught up in the 'love of money', continuing to live on a small amount while giving the rest away, most want a bigger house and a better car, even though they may still give lots away too.

We can be 'double tithers' (churches love us!), give to the poor, promote Gods Word, do all the right things, but let go of our intimate relationship with Jesus through our busYness and good works.

No, I am not talking of an alternative 'poverty mentality' as being the way to go, but certainly one where our reliance is upon Jesus rather than our 'Super (or not so super in recent times!) Fund'.

Now Kathy and I live on her wages in a rented house, owning only personal items. It is challenging at times, and people question us on what we will do in our retirement. Most don't understand the only answer possible. Do you?

Last week I mentioned the 70 who were sent out with nothing. Interestingly, I did a trip to Africa in that way, although my airfares had been paid. I had 50c a day to live on for 2 months. After 10 days my $30 was down to $2 with 50 days to go! Then the Lord started bringing the money in. I left Africa with no money but having been provided for throughout my trip also. Everyone was surprised - the Africans and me!

In whom, or what, do we put our trust?

(Continued next week)

1 comment:

  1. David,
    I invite you to get and read a new book by Joseph R. Cervasio entitled "Now or never: The 11 Secrets of Arimathea". He is a Christian business executive who has written an amazing story about some of Jesus' early followers and disciples. You can get the book from amazon.com. You can read about it on Joe's blog: www.joecervasio.typepad.com I think that you will really appreciate this book.
    Robert Sherbondy

    ReplyDelete